Staff Travel

Claiming for travel expenses on HEP business

From 1st July 2012 almost all travel expenses will be reimbursed via the University system, rather than via the Rutherford PPD group.

Staff (and non-STFC Students) Claiming on Atlas, LHCb, Atlas Upgrade, GridPP, MINOS, DUNE, ILC

Before you travel

Determine which Budget Code (i.e. Project/Task number combination) you will be using.
Budget Codes listed here: Cambridge codes (pdf)

Seek approval for your trip. How to do this depends on your experiment and usually involves completing a Visit Notice (VN) via a web form or by other means. There are some cases when VNs are not required. See the notes below or ask your Local Claims Approver for more information. Select the appropriate link from the list below:

Web submission
Download form

Those using the web form will have their VN automatically forwarded to the appropriate persons for approval and will receive an e-mail acknowledgement when the VN is approved. You may need to register at the website before you can submit a VN.

Those using the downloaded form should complete it and forward it to the VN Approver for the appropriate budget. Once you have received back the approved VN you should forward it to the Local Claim Approver for that Budget Code here at Cambridge. This may well be the same person as the VN approver.

VN Approvers and Local Claim Approvers are listed here: Cambridge codes (pdf).

You may then make the arrangements for the trip (including applying for travel insurance - as detailed on the main travel page).

If you think you will need to claim an advance to purchase flights etc., please contact the group administrator (Rachel Spring

After the trip

All claims are submitted on the new Cavendish claims form (for repayment via BACS) (pdf) (doc) (see How to fill out the Cavendish Claims Form below), with receipts attached, to the HEP group administrator (Rachel Spring, for approval by the appropriate person.

HEP has a ring-fenced account to track these expenses (KG KGCJ GAAA), and we will invoice STFC based on amounts charged here each quarter. You should quote this number on your Cavendish Expenses Claim (the usual form, available from the HEP Group Admin office), together with the relevant Project Code and Task Number. It is very important that this is done correctly: items which are not claimed back correctly from STFC will fall onto the groups own resources.

Claims should preferably be submitted within one month (and certainly no later than three months) after the trip - the sooner, the better though.


Please note that the VN needs an estimate of the cost and you should try to make this as accurate as reasonably possible and in particular not to forget any major costs, e.g. transport to the airport or the air-fare!

UK trips likely to cost more than a specified limit will now require a VN. The limit is typically £200, but you should check the limit specified for the Budget to be used, as it can vary (for example, the limit is £300 for GridPP travel). A VN will also be required for regular lower cost UK trips such that you claim more than the same limit per quarter from the budget. Thus it is only infrequent UK trips that cost less than the limit (i.e. typically £200) that do NOT require a VN. If in doubt submit a VN.

Claims will generally be paid according to the rules and procedures of your University. However, claims will be checked to see that they are reasonably consistent with any criteria set by the Budget Holder and the STFC guidelines. STFC expects that the value of claims should not differ substantially from the current PPD travel guidelines and the STFC Expectations - see this web page

For copies of the Default VN and further information see: here

A Summary of the above, can be found here: Travellers Instructions (doc)

Travel not related to a specific experiment (Conferences etc.)

Travel not related to experiments (typically programme support on project code STAK00026) will for the time being continue to be processed by RAL.

Travel by group members to conferences and similar events using group funds (from the consolidated grant, local project grants and internal resources) should be agreed with the HEP group leader in advance by email. A formal Visit Notice is not required.

All claims are submitted on the normal Cavendish claims form, with receipts attached, to the HEP group administrator, for approval by the appropriate person.

NB In this case leave the Cavendish budget codes blank on your claim form - they will be filled in at a later point.

How to fill out the Cavendish Claims Form

The new Cavendish claims forms (for repayment via BACS) can be downloaded here: (pdf) (doc)

Steve Wotton's updated FD1C-styled spreadsheet can be found here: (xlsx).

There is also an web-based version of the claims form available, but please note that this form still has to be printed out and submitted in the standard way. Maybe in another 800 years...

Please remember to fill in the extra slip detailing your mileage if you have used a car for all or part of the travel.

Expenses will be paid according the normal University rules, and not those of STFC. The University rules are here: expenses (pdf). Further information can be found here.

Note that you have to claim actual expenses, with receipts. There are also upper limits on what can be claimed for certain classes of trip. All expenses must be reasonable.